Tuesday, March 24, 2015

SO YOU'VE DECIDED TO TAKE ACCUTANE! NOW WHAT?



I am an esthetician in a dermatologist and a plastic surgeon’s office.  I became an esthetician because I had acne all of my life.  In my 30’s, I went on Accutane for my cystic acne.  Accutane is an oral medication to treat severe acne by reducing the amount of oil released by the skin.

So as a former accutane user, it breaks my heart to read the posts on instagram from people who are on accutane and describing the bad side effects from it.

Yes, Accutane has many side effects.  I don’t remember any other than having dry lips.  I was busy with my two small children and just thought about the results I wanted – clear skin.  Has anyone not taken an advil or Tylenol before?  If you think about all the over the counter products we ingest, from Tylenol, advil cold medications, and read the literature on these products, you wouldn’t want to take them either. 

Accutane is the last oral medication I like to see my patients go on.  But when nothing else works, it definitely works.  There are some cases where someone can break out after taking a course of accutane.  Accutane is meant for the cystic acne and you can still get pimples, I do even at age 60.

My suggestion to all of you on accutane or considering it, is don’t focus on the side effects.  I have seen pictures from people on instagram where they lost big chunks of hair.  That did not happen to me.  You can see I have a lot of hair.  Perhaps the person is deficient in certain vitamins.  Biotin and silica are great for the skin and hair.

I would encourage you to be positive especially if you are posting to the accutane community.  Everyday look for one positive thing on your face that is happening and not the negative and focus on that.  Yes you can break out more in the beginning when starting Accutane. But if you believe it will help, then it will.

There have been studies linking dairy products to acne.  So eliminate dairy from your diet.
Please, please stop picking!! Ice, ice.  Icing brings down inflammation.  Always wash with warm water, not hot.  Heat inflames and dries the skin. Do not use any abrasives or chemicals or prescription topical on your face unless prescribed by your doctor.  If you are going to be in the sun, Accutane will make your whole body sensitive to the sun, not just your face.  Use a UVA, UVB broad spectrum sunscreen.

Read my blog on Cetaphil  products and ditch them.  And, yes, Galderma representatives leave samples of Cetaphil in the doctor’s offices.  Cetaphil has chemicals in it and doesn’t clean the face very well.

I want to address post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and acne scarring.  Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation will subside in time as long as you do not get any sun on your face.  Acne scarring is more difficult to get rid of, but you can.  I had ice pick scarring .  I have had 6 professional  SkinPen microneedling treatments.  This has helped more than anything I have done.  This can be done 6 months post Accutane.  Do not do the home microneedling.  I believe it can tear the top layer of the skin and the needles are not going into the dermis like the professional treatments so it is not going to help the scarring.  The needles on the home rollers can become dull and do more damage.

I have a couple of products by Ayur-Medic skincare on my website skincaresolutionsadvice.com to help with calming, soothing the skin, reduce inflammation and help with tissue repair. If you purchase the Calming Crème, I will send you the  8 oz. Calming Cleanse for free.  I want you to use good products that will help you through your accutane journey.

I welcome any feedback, comments or questions at danaface12@yahoo.com  Follow me on instagram @skincaresolutionsbydana.

Good luck!







 





No comments:

Post a Comment